Professional Moving Companies Offer Advice on Reducing Clutter Before Moving
Moving can be a stressful time. From changing addresses to getting the utilities set up, there’s no shortage of things to do once you arrive at your new home. One thing that shouldn’t be a hassle is sorting through your things once you get there. Instead of opening up a box labeled “bedroom” to find old receipts, dirty laundry and a VHS player that doesn’t work anymore, professional moving companies recommend cleaning out your house before the move.
A thorough decluttering will save you valuable time, space, and energy, and give you a fresh start in your tidy new home. You can save on moving costs with fewer boxes to deal with, and if you pack them properly, you’ll know exactly where everything goes when the big day arrives. Here’s how the expert movers at Gasperson Moving and Storage recommend you clean out and organize your belongings.
- Start Now – Waiting until the last minute to declutter your home will leave you feeling anxious and rushed. If you’re deciding whether or not to donate your great grandma’s hutch or re-gift unopened items, the process may take you some time. Start early to make sure you’re not packing things in haste and making decisions you’ll regret later.
- Know Your Options – Before you start the sorting process, it’s important to know where your things can go. If it’s damaged, it should be thrown away. Donating used or gently used items is a great wait to repurpose materials or selling them could make you a little extra cash. If you’re on the fence about furniture or family heirlooms, talk to professional moving companies like Gasperson about storage services.
- Choose Wisely – Now’s a great time to ask yourself what’s most important to you. If you could only take five things from each room, what would they be? What large items are worth the cost of moving? Get rid of duplicates, unnecessary spares, or items that have not been used in over a year, then decide what’s worth packing.
- Be Methodical – It’s helpful to start small, especially if you live in a large house. Pick a drawer or a closet to start with, then go through your items one at a time. Clearing out small spaces will encourage you to move on to larger areas. Professional moving companies suggest having trash bags, markers, and boxes at the ready.
- Organize as You Go – When you finally know what you want to bring, label your boxes as precisely as possible. Mark what room each box belongs in in bold, and under that, note the contents or exactly where things will be placed (dresser, bookshelf, etc.).
Contact Gasperson Moving and Storage
When it’s time to choose between professional moving companies in Asheville, NC, contact Gasperson Moving and Storage today to discover the difference our customized moving and storage solutions can make for your move.