Tips from Expert Moving Companies in Asheville, NC
If you are planning a DIY move and have a home full of fitness equipment, there are a few things you need to know before you get started. Fitness equipment is bulky and heavy, leading many to hire professional moving companies in Asheville, NC to handle the work. Their teams have the tools and knowledge needed to do the job right and help you avoid injuring yourself. The pros at Gasperson Moving & Storage are more than happy to help with moving your bigger pieces of fitness gear, but if you decide to go it alone, they offer these tips.
- Unplug Equipment – Items such as treadmills, elliptical machines, and so forth are plugged into the wall. Be sure you unplug them before you start. Leaving them plugged in can lead to a high risk of electrical shock.
- Bend Your Knees – Sounds obvious, but you might be surprised at how many people forget to bend their knees and not their backs when lifting heavy items. Using your back is likely to result in serious injury.
- “The Tilt” – If you watch the movers from top moving companies in Asheville, NC, the use the two-person lift method where one tilts the item back, allowing the other to begin the lift by tilting the item so as to let the other person get their hands in place before lifting the piece to move it.
- Know When It’s a “Two-Person Job” – There is nothing wrong with carrying light items by yourself. However, when it comes to heavier pieces, even the pros use the two-person lift method to avoid injury.
- Use a Dolly, When Needed – When moving heavy items, you will soon find a two-wheel dolly can be your best friend.
- Look at the Owner’s Manual – Most items have specific moving or disassembly/reassembly requirements that can be found in the owner’s manual. Be sure you follow them carefully.
- Use Equipment Wheels – Many heavier items like treadmills have built-in wheels. They make moving them much easier, be sure you make good use of them.
- Securing in the Truck – When loading fitness equipment into your moving truck, use moving blankets to cover it and then ratcheting tie-down straps to secure it into place.
Contact Gasperson Moving & Storage Today!
Moving heavy fitness equipment presents unique challenges, and in most instances, this job is best left to professionals like those at Gasperson Moving & Storage. Contact us today and let us help you with moving your fitness equipment safely.