While moving into a new home is exciting, it can also be stressful, and if not well-planned, disastrous. If you have an upcoming move and want to know how to make the transition seamless, the following tips will help. Ultimately, you will experience less stress, and therefore, you’ll enjoy the process more.
Not only is moving into a new home life-changing, but it’s also a mixture of emotions. Take the stress out of the equation with these tips:
- Checklist – Ask a representative at the moving company you hire for a moving checklist. With a box to check off for virtually every action, you will have no problem staying on task. Usually, a checklist covers a three-month period and includes things such as packing, contacting the utility companies, finding a new veterinarian for your pets, and just about everything else you can imagine. That way, nothing you won’t overlook anything.
- New Door Locks – Especially when moving into a home someone else previously owned, install new locks on all the doors. Because you have no idea who has a spare key, this will provide peace of mind. To do the job yourself, take a photo of each door so that a salesperson at your local hardware store can help you choose the appropriate locks.
- Clean House – Whether buying an existing or newly constructed house, hire a professional cleaning crew to get it move-in ready. That way, you can get to work unpacking, knowing that everything is spotless.
- Painting – Instead of waiting to paint walls after moving into a new home, arrange for someone to finish this work ahead of time. Even if you need to hire an expert, applying a fresh coat of paint to the walls before the moving truck arrives will free up your time and dramatically reduce your stress level.
- Appliances – When making an offer to buy a house, find out which appliances will stay. That way, if you need to purchase something, you have plenty of time for comparison shopping.
- Window Treatments – Visit your new home during the day and at night so you can determine the amount of natural versus artificial light that filters inside. Based on your findings, you can look for bargains on the type of window treatments that you like but also those that will block out light and provide optimal privacy.
Hiring the right moving company and getting organized as far in advance as possible are the two most critical aspects of moving into a new home. Those things, combined with the provided tips, will ensure a smooth transition.