DIY Moving Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
While you might have a good understanding of how valuable professional moving companies are, once you read over the list of do-it-yourself moving mistakes, you will appreciate their services even more. Usually, people choose self-moves as a way of saving money, or at least that is the intention. However, without having experience and expertise, things often go wrong, ultimately costing more than it would if hiring expert movers.
Although using professional moving companies is always the best option if you decide to move your possessions on your own, learn about common mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Not Decluttering First – Especially if you tend to be a packrat, before packing anything, take time to sort through your belongings and discard anything broken. Then, you can either donate, recycle, or sell usable items. Decluttering will streamline the moving process. Also, with less to pack and move, you can get by with fewer supplies and a smaller truck.
- Poor Planning – With busy schedules, it is easy to procrastinate. However, without allowing yourself enough time, you can expect to feel overwhelmed. After all, moving requires a lot of actions. You need to secure a truck, find boxes, change utilities, round up friends and family, organize, and more. The remedy is to start planning your move at least a month in advance, more if possible.
- Using Inadequate Supplies – With a do-it-yourself move, it is essential that you use quality supplies, including boxes, packing paper, tape, and bubble wrap. You can avoid the bottom of a box ripping open by purchasing corrugated boxes. Also, never skimp on bubble wrap. For delicate items, this material offers the best protection. Remember, professional moving companies sell all types of supplies. While you might invest a little money, it is well worth it.
- No Inventory List – One of the many advantages of hiring professional moving companies is that they use a labeling system that ensures every box and container that leaves the original property arrives at the new address. Unfortunately, many do-it-yourselfers pack boxes without taking an inventory. Only after unloading the truck do they learn that something has gone missing. As a self-mover, use a labeling system like expert movers do so that you can keep track of everything.
- No Overnight Bag – Even if you plan to move a few miles from your current home, put an overnight bag together. Include a change of clothing, toiletries, medication, bottled water, snacks, important papers and contact information, cell phone charger, and pet food and leash, as well as a few children’s toys, if applicable. That way, you do not have to worry about digging through boxes to find necessities the first night in your new home.
Movers You Can Trust
The best way to avoid moving mistakes is by using professional services. Gasperson Moving & Storage offers affordable solutions for both residential and commercial customers. Contact us today for a free quote.